I was born and bred in South Auckland. I attended Auckland Medical School, graduating in 1998. I trained in general surgery throughout New Zealand and then undertook further training in upper gastrointestinal, liver, biliary and pancreas surgery and surgery for obesity at Auckland Hospital and Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney, Australia.
I returned to New Zealand in February 2011 to take up a position as a general, upper gastrointestinal and bariatric surgeon at Counties Manukau DHB. I am also a senior lecturer with the University of Auckland. I have interests in teaching medical students and doctors in training. My research interests include enhanced recovery after surgery, bariatrics, benign and malignant gastro-oesophageal and pancreatic disease and clinical variation.
I also have roles with the Ministry of Health, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and Australia New Zealand Gastro-Oesophageal Surgical Association (ANZGOSA).
MB ChB 1998 Auckland; FRACS 2009
General and Bariatric Surgeon, General Surgeon, General, Laparoscopic, Upper GI and Bariatric Surgeon
Senior lecturer in Surgery, University of Auckland
Areas of Specialisation
- Laparoscopic biliary (gallbladder) surgery
- Laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery
- Open and laparoscopic surgery for upper GI cancer
- Open and laparoscopic pancreatic surgery (benign and malignant)
- Laparoscopic surgery for morbid obesity (bariatric surgery)
- Laparoscopic hernia repair
- MB ChB FRACS, PhD
- Member of the NZ association of General Surgeons
- Clinical Fellow in Upper GI and Hepato-biliary Surgery, Auckland Hospital 2009
- Clinical Fellow in Upper GI and Bariatric Surgery, Royal North Shore, Sydney, 2010
Full NZ Registration Date
4 Dec 1998